Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Side Project

In my spare time I've been reading in Russian (and a little in Ukrainian). I like to take books out of my school library and the local library. I noticed on my initial visit piles of old picture books at both libraries, once very well loved and currently rotting. The drawings in these books are phenomenal and I immediately wished I could share them with some friends. At first, I tried to sketch a few of the drawings from these books but quickly realized how tedious and ridiculous this process was. The solution: buy a printer with a scanner (bonus: no more copying lesson plans by hand multiple times).

I opened a Tumblr account and will periodically upload images from these books and other randomness of my life. You can check it out HERE.

Kalinochka is a diminutive of kalina. Kalina is translated as guelder rose or viburnum. It's a very bitter berry that of course has magical powers. The berry is a symbol of Ukraine and there's a phrase: without Kalina, no Ukraine (it rhymes in Russian and I hear it all the time).

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I'm a PC nominee for ESL in Eastern Europe (Sept 2010) and so, obviously I've been blog-stalking loads of EE PCVs. Just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm going to follow you on tumblr - I love the sketches from old English textbooks!

    Anyway, just wanted to clarify I'm not a completely random person. :)

    ReplyDelete