Saturday, September 5, 2009

Expectations

As I'm looking at other PCV blogs, I've noticed that several have included their Aspiration Statements before departure as a way of measuring perceptions of what their experience would be like to others venturing on the same programs. I find this to be powerful in describing what individual volunteers expect, not only in regard to priorities, but also techniques for effective service. They're entertaining in retrospective.

So, I'm including mine, written in the beginning of July.

Aspiration Statement

A. The professional attributes that you plan to use, and what aspirations you hope to fulfill, during your Peace Corps service.

As to professional attributes, I plan on using a wealth of leadership-training skills I’ve acquired through community organizing. This training includes utilizing communication and consultation. In relation, studying urban planning has taught me the importance of transparency and process when integrating any new aspect. Not necessarily a professional attribute but rather a personal trait that I find incredibly important, is my passion for personal inquiry that further fuels my interest in education. I hope to be able, both as a member of the community and as an instructor, to share the joy learning provides and how this aspect can influence a more purposeful life. In relation with my story, promoting interest in critical thinking and inquiry has allowed me to take advantage of a rural community and succeed elsewhere. In my community, I hope to gain language fluency in any number of dialects and a better understanding of how geography and the concept of place influence individual and local identities. Along the same lines, gaining an open perspective that allows me to act creatively and be challenged everyday will be extremely rewarding. Another professional attribute I hopefully will fulfill, is understanding the role, nature, and influence NGOs play on a community so that they can be utilized most effectively no matter what the underlining terms may be.


B. Your strategies for working effectively with host country partners to meet expressed needs.

As to strategies for working effectively, I struggled with this question because it is simply understood in actions but difficult to put into words. Through the culmination of my experiences, I find the principle factor for successful relationships to be patience. In relation, listening, studying/consulting, and understanding the patterns (cultural processes) of expected outcomes builds respect and beneficial relationships. In regard to actual projects whether simply lesson planning or a community event, breaking down the goal into manageable steps that can be held independently accountable is key.


C. Your strategies for adapting to a new culture with respect to your own cultural background.

I’ve had the distinct privilege of living in eastern Slovakia for a year in high school. Along with that, I’ve backpacked alone through the Ukraine. Through these experiences, I feel as though I have an advantage over others who haven’t been exposed to such cultures. In adapting to a new culture, it is key to jump into it. When traveling or living abroad, my favorite activity, despite language barriers, is sitting on a bench in a public place (or perhaps a bar) and talking to locals about their lives. I easily clear any frustrations that may occur, such as becoming upset over a particular view as to the role women play, by writing them in a journal or going for a jog. In preparation, I’ve been reading a lot about the Ukraine, joining local ethnic churches, and freshening up on my Slovak and Russian.


D. The skills and knowledge you hope to gain during pre-service training to best serve your future community and project.

I expect a lot from my pre-service training including discussion as to the past role of the Peace Corps in the Ukraine and how as an individual volunteer I can best serve. My largest fear is my lack of TEFL training. With that, I’ve been reading books on pedagogical philosophy and building some lesson plans. However, I’m not sure how to best sustain a classroom over long periods of time (units). Three other related fears is my lack of confidence of being an effective teacher, confusion over a few aspects of English grammar, and adhering to the expectations and standards of Ukrainian schools. In the training, I also hope to gain a support network of other volunteers as well as language proficiency. Ideally, I would like to learn both Ukrainian and Russian and perhaps some other languages such as Romany. I’ve done well with reading and writing in Russian in the past but I definitely need to become confident and gain speed in conversation.


F. How you think Peace Corps service will influence your personal and professional aspirations after your service ends.

I couldn’t have asked for a better assignment with the Peace Corps in regard to where I see myself now and what possible career choices I might make in the future. At this moment, I hope to continue my studies on building civil societies in post-Soviet communities and how this relates to the geographical and urban landscape, using this study in any number of fields. However, that is a dream and it’s difficult to say where I’ll see myself in a few years time. As to attributes, I still “suffer” from shyness, so this experience will greatly alleviate that, especially since I’ll be in the classroom. Along the same lines, this is a great opportunity for professional development, especially because the classroom is an excellent metaphor for most aspects of life; everyone is a student. Also, I hope to use this period of my life to reflect on what is important to me and how to integrate my skills and drive into a meaningful existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment