Friday, June 17, 2011

This evening the 9th form had its graduation. It's typical to have two graduations in Ukraine; one after the 9th grade and one after the 11th grade (there is no twelfth grade in Ukraine). These students took standardized tests and will either continue on for two years at our school or will move on to technical training or an institute. It was a fun ceremony, a lot of sizing-up each other's dresses and karaoke.

Afterwards I walked home with my landlady and her grandson. He wasn't in the best of moods while waiting to leave. The picture taken below was a major moment for me. It was the first time I'd seen V ever do a "Dima Squat". A "Dima Squat" is the nickname volunteers have given for this very low to the ground stance that men hangout in for incredibly long periods of time. Though it's second nature for V and all men of Ukraine, it's quite hard to do if you haven't grown up with it (because your feet are flat). I've discovered that my yoga routine has blessed me with the ability to do the "Dima Squat", surely a victory of my Peace Corps service.





No comments:

Post a Comment