Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A lot of Little Nothings




I don't know how to describe May. At times it was unrelentingly sluggish and at others too quick to notice the blossoming peonies. Perhaps I should mention the greatest factor to my slight disorientation; a week-long escape to Iceland where I met a friend from college. I didn't need this vacation, nor deserve it, but being in an entirely different (though brutally cold) landscape with someone that knew me before my latest period of pessimism awakened me to the reality that the environment I'm currently in isn't permanent. For those of you who aren't inside my head, basically the last few months at site haven't been as fruitful as I'd like them to be. I'm not going to win any 'super-volunteer' awards for my inspiring service. Though I've had some successes, I feel as though I've done little for my community. Sometimes I feel the only thing I'm providing my site is my presence, maybe this is what they want most out of me. Americans identify themselves through their work and for me, someone with embarrassing amounts of free time, I feel incredibly guilty.



Thingvelir National Park outside of Reykjavik.


So happy to reconnect and breathe clean air.




Last week at school we had our Final Bell, where students and teachers gather outside to ring the school bell for the last time, honor students' achievements, and thank teachers for their dedication. I'm going to miss this year's graduating class, they were a great group of kids. The following day was the 11th form's graduation, where like last year, the students dress up in gowns and shiny suits for an evening of celebration and goodbyes.


Congratulating Seniors on their achievements.


What are these hair accessories even called in English?





Kind of out of order here, V blessing me with the first strawberries of the year.




I love this kid. I'm sorry I developed his UNO habit though.

Kristina is an amazing writer and I look forward to seeing where she ends up.



No comments:

Post a Comment