Friday, January 7, 2011

Free Time


It's time to start posting again. Eventually I'll write something of substance but for now I'll entertain with pictures taken over the past few weeks.

During training in Peace Corps I learned to cross-stitch, which is by no means difficult. The problem with it is that it is addictive and I often find myself in situations where I wish I had my needle. Embroidering appears to not be a social activity. I've ignored that by taking my projects to school during my slow hours, getting a few lines in on a train ride or while waiting for a bus. At first, I typically get stares. Doing anything other than staring or pl
aying on a cellphone is odd in the game of waiting. I've even gotten yelled at for reading while waiting (apparently it's bad for the eyes).

The top project is a field of poppies. Poppies are a common symbol in Ukrainian folklore. The project below is a rushnyk, or hand towel, a traditional towel used especially for ceremonies like weddings. This rushnyk, not quite standard because I altered it as I saw fit, contains many common symbols in relation to family life and health.




No comments:

Post a Comment